Are you one of 50 million people who are affected by acne each year? Overactive oil glands can produce too much oil, latch onto skin cells, and clog pores. When this happens, bacteria on the skin multiply, which results in whiteheads, blackheads, cysts, nodules and pimples. While this is often the reason for the emergence of acne, it is not the only reason. Other factors such as heredity, hormones, and stress can serve as catalysts for these blemishes. Acne is the most common skin condition in the United States and affects people both psychologically and physically through poor self-image, permanent scarring, anxiety and depression. Due to its commonality, your Dallas dermatologist, Dr. George Wooming has heavily researched it. This intensive research has lead to breakthroughs in treatment and prevention plans for those affected by the condition.
Fighting Acne: Treatment and Prevention
Treatment options and prevention methods come in many forms. Your Dallas dermatologist will determine which treatments are best for you based on your skin type and health record. Acne treatment options include:
- Topical therapy for mild acne such as benzoyl peroxide, retinoids, salicylic acid, and antibiotics
- Oral antibiotics for moderate to severe acne
- A combination of the therapies that uses oral antibiotics and retinoids
- Oral contraceptives containing estrogen for women
- Oral isotretinoin for severe cystic acne
- Laser and light-based therapies for mild to moderate acne
Prevention methods include:
- Gently scrubbing the affected area once or twice a day after sweating with a mild, nondrying cleanser
- Avoiding vigorous scrubbing
- Shampooing hair often – daily if your hair is oily
- Avoiding astringents, toners, exfoliants, and other oil based skin and makeup products
- Resisting the urge to pick or pop acne
Both you and your Dallas dermatologist must fight the battle for clearer, healthier skin. Your prevention methods coupled with your doctor’s skin therapies should set the course towards a happier, more confident lifestyle. However, it is imperative that you use the medications and products prescribed for your acne as directed and exercise patience, as treatments may take four to eight weeks before you see results. Contact your Dallas dermatologist today if you are ready to partner with the best in the skin restoration business.